Activities of libraries in the Czech Republic are governed by a special legislation. Libraries are also bound by other laws and regulations (Civil Code, Labour Code, etc.)
Library Act (Libraries and Conditions of Operation of Library and Information Services to the Public, No. 257/2001 Coll.)
- Act regulates the library system that provides library and information services and conditions of its operation
- it further defines information and library services to the public, registration of the libraries, interlibrary loans, library support, registration and revision of the collections, collection weeding and preservation
Decree No. 88/2002 Coll. of the Ministry of Culture executing Act No. 257/2001 Coll. (see above)
- this decree treats interlibrary loan procedures, sets details on library collections management and collection revisions reporting
Act on Preservation of Collections with Museum Nature and Change of Some Acts No. 122/2000 Coll.
- Act regulates activities of libraries that belong to museums
Legislation on archives
Act on Non-Periodical Publications No. 37/1995 Coll.
- Art. 3 assigns a publisher duty to provide, at his expense, to specific libraries stated number of copies (legal deposit copy) of each published book
- amendments of the Act 37/1995 Coll. may be found on the home pages of the National Library of the Czech Republic
Decree of the Ministry of Culture No. 252/1995 Coll. executing some provisions of the Act No. 37/1995 Coll.
- this decree lists libraries with the right to obtain a regionally published legal deposit copy of non-periodical publications and names libraries to which a publisher must offer in writing a purchase of one copy of all books published by him
- amendments of the Decree 252/1995 Coll. may be found on the home pages of the National Library of the Czech Republic
Act. No. 46/2000 Coll., Rights and Liabilities for the Publishing of Periodicals and Change of Some Acts (Press Act)
- Act adjusts some rights and duties of publishers of periodicals
- Art. 9 assigns a publisher duty to provide, at his expense, to specific libraries a stated number of issues (legal deposit copies) of each periodical published by him
- amendments of the Act 46/2000 Coll. may be found on the home pages of the National Library of the Czech Republic
Laws that have bearing on libraries
Copyright Act (No. 121/200 Coll.)
- Act resolves among other problems copying for personal use (Art. 30, 37), lending (Art. 16, 38, 78, 82) and a citing of a published work (Art. 31)
Personal Information Protection Act No. 101/2000 Coll.
- libraries collect personal information (user registration) and under the Art. 16 are registered with the Office for Personal Information Protection
Free Access to Information Act No. 106/1999 Coll.
Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms
Further Acts and Decrees that bear on libraries may be found on the home pages of the National Library of the Czech Republic.